KAABOO Cravings: San Diego Style
KAABOO is known for bringing you 3-days of gourmet eats to enjoy while at KAABOO. But did you know that our team of culinary curators are actually out traveling the globe to identify the best restaurants...breakfast, happy hour, dinner, date spots, you name it, we’ve got recommendations. We’re starting with our first home: San Diego. But we will be sharing recommendations based on wherever KAABOO is going next and other cities we love soon. Welcome to the KAABOO lifestyle, KAABOO Cravings.
San Diego is a major force when it comes to dining and cuisine. Whether you’re looking for a more laid back vibe, or a 4-course meal to impress your dinner date, San Diego’s restaurant scene has options that fit the bill for every occasion. Don’t miss out on these incredible brunch, dinner, and date spots!
San Diego Brunch
1. Ambrogio15: Combining casual dining with high-class culinary presentation, Ambrogio15 is a top contender when it comes to pizza and other Italian classics. Did we mention their desserts - save room. It’s worth it! They’re open early on weekends, so make sure you beat the rush.
2. Ballast Point Brewing Company: Looking to get your brunch on and try some great beer while you’re at it? Ballast Point Brewery is calling your name. Their food pairs well with the beer. We recommend the Grapefruit Sculpin. Open Sundays at 10am.
3. Breakfast Republic: Stay classy without breaking your bank account at this beautifully decorated eatery. Looks aren’t all you should prepare for, however. The menu is also a pretty picture. With locations from North Park to Ocean Beach and beyond, this is a staple in any breakfast rotation.
4. Cafe Chloe: Nestled in the East Village, this outstanding restaurant serves a variety of bistro classics alongside coffee, tea, and delicious wine. Stop in for its beautiful ambience and amazing choices.
5. Searsucker: You might recognize them from KAABOO Del Mar! A classic three-time PALATE restaurant partner, Searsucker brings their unique, laidback and fun style of dining to any get-together. They easily live up to their philosophy, “An honest approach to a fun, well-crafted meal.”
San Diego Dinner Spots
1. Poseidon: Located right on the waters of Del Mar, this restaurant is known for their outstanding seafood and locally sourced ingredients. Not to mention the sounds of the ocean create the perfect dinner ambiance. Check out this soon-to-be four-time KAABOO Del Mar vendor this September.
2. Kettner Exchange: History meets the present in this beautiful space. Designed to pay homage to San Diego’s founding father, William Kettner, the restaurant is filled with tributes to the city’s great bay and nautical history. The incredible cocktails, roasted quail fried rice and big eye tuna pizza are only a few reasons you’ll want to spend a little time at the Kettner Exchange.
3. Buona Forchetta: Love a good patio? What about killer pizza and other italian dishes? With ever-changing daily specials, this PALATE partner from 2016 is sure to become a quick favorite.
4. Addison @ The Grand Del Mar: Feeling fancy? Get your class on at this exquisite restaurant and wine cellar (located in the center of the room). Enjoy beautiful views, great wine, and delightful dishes, all brought to you by Chef William Bradley and his team.
5. Nine-Ten: With an ever-changing menu composed of local and international items, Nine-Ten is a trendsetter in the San Diego food scene. As one of the more innovative restaurants you’ll find in San Diego, its creative takes on classic American dishes make it a special dining experience not to be missed.
6. Puesto: We’ll keep it short, sweet and to-the-point: Tacos. Some of the best tacos you will find. Of course, in San Diego everyone has their favorite, but this needs to be at the top of your list!
Best Date Spots
1. Galaxy Taco: Out-of-this-world tacos! Priding itself on house-made tortillas and only using the freshest ingredients, this La Jolla favorite is perfect for a casual but cute early-in-the-game date.
2. George’s at the Cove: With one of the most fantastic views of the Pacific in San Diego, George’s Ocean Terrace is a must-see. When you combine the breathtaking scenery with exceptional food and drink, your date night sparks are guaranteed to fly.
3. Craft & Commerce: Cozy, casual and fun are words that come to mind when you arrive here. If the decor and atmosphere don’t impress, the food will.
4. Lionfish: This hotspot is located in San Diego’s bustling Gaslamp District. Menu items range from casual to complex. You can do sushi, raw bar, a number of small plates, seafood of all kinds; the list goes on and on!
5. Cucina Enoteca Del Mar: Find this gem in Del Mar’s Flower Hill Promenade. Set the stage for a romantic evening on either the first floor, complete with dramatic ceilings and plenty of natural light, or the open-air second floor for a gorgeous view of the surrounding neighborhood. Add contemporary and seasonal dishes into the mix to top off your dreamy evening.
We hope you enjoy these spots as much as we do! Stay tuned for our next KAABOO Cravings Edition.